Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Maple-bacon lollipops, take 2

My lollipops arrived in the mail with stunning alacrity. 

So first off, they're awfully small. I mean, I understand they're gourmet, but come on, if you're asking $10 for 4 of 'em...

Now, they claim to be using pure Vermont maple syrup as the base of the lollipop. That might even be the case, but you'd never know it. The taste is more akin to cotton candy - there's nary a trace of maple at all, except perhaps in a vaguely strange chemically aftertaste. So that's not ideal. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's not exactly a treat either.

Luckily there's the taste of bacon to go with it. That's actually quite good. The bacon bits in the lollipop though... I mean, I like bacon, but I generally put it in my mouth, chew and swallow. I don't suck on it like a frickin' lozenge. Once you've worked your way down a bit on the lollipop, it becomes more vulnerable, so you can crunch off chunks for mastication, which is a far more satisfying way to enjoy the bacon bits in it. But then why make a lollipop at all? Hard candies would seem somewhat more appropriate. 

Naw, at the end of the day, I'm unconvinced. Bacon-maple lollipops while they might seem like a good idea, aren't the answer.

No comments: