Saturday, January 29, 2011

Porky polenta breakfast

The sun was rather too bright when I woke up this morning, to quote Philadelphia Story*, and I was craving grease and grits, but there were none in the house (grits, I mean. There's plenty of grease.). In desperation, I grabbed a bag of fine ground cornmeal and made mush instead (1/4 cup cornmeal, 1 cup of water, cooked over medium heat with salt, stir to break up the lumps). Cornmeal mush is not as tasty as grits, not at all. So I added a bunch of pepper jack, which helped, but still, something was missing. So I forraged in the fridge and found a Garret County Chorizo sausage and a few strips of bacon and fried them up and dumped them on top. Genius. Like chirashi, except with pork and corn instead of fish and rice.

I didn't take a picture, because I was busy shoveling it into my mouth. But trust me, it was tasty. Though grits would have been better.

*Or I thought I was, but I just searched the script online and that line isn't in there. Maybe it's in another movie? Or I'm just misremembering? I need to lie down.

No comments: